A Moratorium NOW! Coalition organizer is being sued for defaming a bad landlord by reporting violations of City of Detroit ordinances to city authorities. Munoz Realty, the landlord in question, reportedly owns and rents more than 1200 housing units in the City of Detroit and appears to be one of the top evictors of tenants in our city.
Some of the issues that we have uncovered include:
- Flooded and moldy basements
- Rat feces
- Unregistered rental units
- Lack of certificates of compliance
- Extremely poor-quality repairs
- Fire hazards such as doors not opening properly
- Improperly placed CO detectors
Munoz Realty and other slumlords are preying on the most vulnerable members of our community, in a community that has inadequate safe low-income housing.
We will not be intimidated for bringing to light these deplorable housing conditions maintained this landlord or any other slumlord.
We have retained the Goodman, Hurwitz & James law firm. Moratorium NOW! Coalition is making an appeal for financial support to help pay for legal expenses incurred as we fight this lawsuit.
Ways to donate:
- Using CashApp: $MoratoriumNow1 (David Sole’s name will also appear). Please indicate that the donation is for legal expenses
- By check: Make out check to Moratorium NOW and mail to 5920 Second Ave., Detroit, MI 48202
People United Will Never be defeated!
Be the first to comment