May Day Rally
Jefferson & Woodward, Detroit
- Removal of the racist, anti-democratic, anti-worker, pro-bank Emergency Managers from Michigan cities and schools
- Defeat of the “Plan of Adjustment” that destroys pensions and loots city assets.
- Banks pay for destroying Detroit neighborhoods and jobs.
- Full support for Public Education and termination of the failed Education Achievement Authority. No to charter schools.
- NO tax giveaways to Illitch, Gilbert, and their ilk.
- Stop gentrification and the removal of poor and working people from Detroit.
- Restore and increase state revenue sharing.
- Jobs for all. With 60% Detroit youth unemployment—Hire youth to rebuild the neighborhoods. Rebuild and repair infrastructure.
- Money for People Not for War. Stop U.S. intervention in Ukraine, Syria, and Venezuela.
- Moratorium on all Bank and Tax Foreclosures and Evictions, and Utility Shutoffs—No water shutoffs for people. Housing and water are Human Rights!
- Public control of public spaces—the “commons”.
- No giveaway of public assets, including the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA), to corporations and private foundations.
- End to attacks on women’s reproductive rights.
- Increase in the minimum wage to $15 and an end to falling wages and unequal two-tier pay schemes— $7.45 is not enough.
- Stop the attacks on the LGBTQ community. Uphold marriage equality.
- Stop the attacks on communities and people of color.
- System change NOT climate change – No to tar sands, fracking, pet coke.
- Stop deportations and attacks on immigrants and undocumented workers.
- Stop police brutality. No to racial profiling.
- Repeal “Right-to-Work”.
- Overturn Public Act 436 and restore democracy.
May Day-Detroit supported by: Building Movement Detroit; Central United Methodist Church, Rev. Edwin Rowe; Change Agent Consortium; Cities of Peace; Citizens For Highland Park Schools; Cooperative Economics; Creative Hood Research; Critical Moment; Detroit Communicator; Detroit Eviction Defense; Detroit Green Party; Detroit People’s Platform; DPS Education Task Force; First Unitarian Universalist Church of Detroit, Lee Gaddies; Free Detroit/No Consent; Feedom Freedom Growers; International Socialist Organization; James and Grace Lee Boggs Center to Nurture Community Leadership; Keep Detroit Growing; Library Committee; Michigan Citizen; Michigan Forward; Michigan Welfare Rights Organization; Moratorium NOW! Coalition; National Action Network; National Lawyers Guild; Project Save Detroit; Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development; Sacred Heart Church, Father Norman P. Thomas; Simmons’ Hush House; Slowdown/Raiz Up; Social Justice Chair; St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Detroit, Pastor Bill Wylie-Kellerman; Sugar Law Center; Team for Justice; Uprooting Racism Planting Justice; We The People of Detroit